Christmas has come and gone, New Years is a couple of days away, and like most, you've probably overindulged. Hey, that's ok -- it's the festive season.
Kick-start 2018 with a detox. But what is a detox?
In everyday speak, detoxification is the process of removing toxins from your diet and supporting your detoxing organs (liver, kidneys, and bowel) so they can perform at optimum levels. It's a bit like giving your detox organs a rest so they can catch up. This is ideal for this time of year.
What are the benefits of a detox? It won't just make your eyes sparkle and your skin look great, a detox will boost your energy, improve digestion and can also assist in weight loss. Hands up who wants to lose a few kilos as part of their New Years resolution?
Here are some simple tips for detoxing your body:
- Avoid Alcohol. You've punished your liver enough this festive season. Give it a break - it will thank you for it. Alcohol will dehydrate you, so by eliminating alcohol from your diet your skin and hair will love you!
- Avoid most dairy products. With the exception of natural yoghurt with acidophilus, dairy should be avoided when you are detoxing.
- Sugar, honey, and artificial sweeteners are a no-go when detoxing. Sorry, put down the cupcake.
- Grains, especially refined should be avoided. If you can't live without bread, switch to a gluten-free or ancient grains variety and only consume in moderation.
- Dried fruits can be high in sulphides as part of the drying process. They are also dense sources of fruit sugars which should be avoided in high concentrations.
That's the bad news out of the way. Here's what you can enjoy when detoxing:
- Fresh fruit. Yes, we just told you to avoid dried fruit, but fresh fruit is ok. This is because fresh fruit has a high water content. For example, a cup of fresh cranberries can contain about 4 grams of sugar. A cup of dried cranberries can contain about 35 grams of sugar. Quite the difference isn't it!
- Fresh vegetables. Can't get enough of them. Focus on leafy greens where possible.
- Fresh fish and lean red meat or chicken
- Legumes such as kidney beans, chickpeas and lentils
- Eggs. Yes they contain a small amount of cholesterol but are high in omega 3's
- Olive oil (extra virgin) and coconut oil (unprocessed)
- Raw & unsalted nuts and seeds such as sunflower and pumpkin (pepitas)
- Green tea or white tea
- Water. Plenty of water. Here's a tip. Drink chilled water. Your body will consume energy replacing the heat lost by consuming chilled water. A simple way to help your weight loss programme.
We also recommend a Detox supplement. These supplements contain concentrated ingredients proven to assist detoxing organs such as your liver, kidney, and bowel in their day-to-day functions. When these organs are operating effectively, you will have better energy levels which in turn helps out with motivation for exercise. It's all about keeping things in balance the way they should be.
This month we have Fusion Detox 60's on special. Normally $44.95, pick these up for $28.95. Only for the month of January.
Happy New Year. Here's to a happy and healthy 2018. Of course, if you need any health care advice, come in and see one of our friendly staff.